Ten Most Ridiculous University Courses
Times are constantly changing and so is education. College courses are definitely changing as fast as trends do. Don’t you just miss the days of English Composition 101 or General Psychology? What about Biology Lab or Macroeconomics? Neither do I. But the days of routine university courses have come and gone and so have college courses.
How about we take a look at the list of the ten most ridiculous university courses around?
1. Simpsons and Philosophy at University of California-Berkeley: Okay, okay we get it. Homer Simpson is a genius—said no one ever. But they do make a strong cause on adapting The Simpson way of life. Who wouldn’t be thrilled to live a live made up of donuts, burps, and yellow people with eight fingers. If you try hard enough, you might be able to pull out a solid C by midterms.
2. Thinking about Video Games at Bard College: First off, no disrespect to the fine people at Bard College. But Bard College? Seriously? Sounds like they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get admission up. This class delves into the minds of video game fanatics and the psychology of it all. Let’s just say your homework might require you cracking open a can a beer and picking up an XBox controller to prepare for the big exam. You can sign me up.
3. How to Train the Jedi Way at Queen’s University: Here’s one of my personal favorites. Ever wonder how to use Jedi Mind Tricks to get that girl that sits in front of you in World Literature? Just a few classes and a wave of a hand and you’ve got a Homecoming Date. It’s that simple.
4. Just Friends: I Don’t Love You Like That at (you guessed it) Harvard University: From the university that produced Presidents, Scientists, and Nobel Prize winners brings one of the most ridiculously named college courses in the history of higher education - “Just Friends”. It’s actually a well thought out course for college freshmen that prevents future sexual assaults. But don’t you just dislike the heck out of the name?
5. Urban American & Serial Television: Watching the Wire at Middlebury College: My wife always bugs me about how depressing The Wire is and now I can point at this class for the truth in it all. This is actually a pretty cool idea for a class. If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll love it. Or if you’re just as deeply concerned about the depressing state of social and political behaviors in America’s inner cities, it’s like finding the golden ticket. What’s better than college mixed with an HBO drama?
6. Maple Syrup: The Real Thing at Alfred University: Shall we move on?
7. Golf Course Management at Carleton State University: For all you eighth-year senior, stay-at-home mama’s boys out there, we’ve got a class for you. Looking for a reason not to suck too bad at life? Try this one. It might get you the ugliest girl in the room.
8. Topics in Comparative Media: American Pro Wrestling at MIT: Yes, it’s at MIT. Learn about the Monday Night Wars and the meaning behind all those crotch-chopping motions kids used to make at old people in the grocery line. I’ll admit I was hooked as a kid.
9. Tree Climbing at Cornell University: For anyone who might get stuck on an island for twelve years, this is the class for you. Cornell’s really coming up in the world.
10. The Living and UnDead: An Inquiry into Zombies at The University of Mississippi: For all you Film School undergrads, this one is a must. Even if you’re not a film major, just take it. Everybody loves zombies.
Well there you have it. The 10 Most Ridiculous University Courses have been unveiled. But no matter how crazy it may sound, it’s still a college credit. Classes like these should give you no reason to drop out after the Fall semester. So have fun while you’re cramming.
Read all news